The University of Alabama at Huntsville (UAH) is seeking a
Senior Development Officer for College of Engineering and College of Science. The Senior Development Officer implements strategies to successfully identify, cultivate, manage, and solicit individuals, corporations, and foundations for major and planned gifts of $25,000+ to support their assigned colleges. The Senior Development Officer represents the College of Engineering and the College of Science in campus activities, community events, and organizations that promote major and planned donor development to the University.
This position requires sensitive interaction with a variety of internal and external constituencies. The scope of work requires travel as well as attendance at evening and/or weekend activities, events, meetings, and prospect/donor visits to their homes and offices throughout the Huntsville community and occasionally at -of the.
RELATIONSHIP: Dual reporting to the Vice President for University Advancement and the Deans of the College of Engineering and the College of Science.
Major Gift Planning and Donor Relations
- Serve as the primary development contact for potential donations and pledges of $25,000+ and/or as needed and assigned.
- Collaborate with the Vice President for Academic Advancement and college deans assigned to development issues.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for the leadership of each assigned college to determine and understand each unit’s top fundraising priorities. Collaborate with University leadership to identify the best potential donors and potential donation interests.
- Manage and develop a portfolio of donors and potential donors, including individuals, corporations and foundations for assigned colleges.
- Develop and implement strategies to identify, cultivate and solicit individuals, corporations and foundations for donations of $25,000 and above.
- Secure donations of $25,000 or more by successfully navigating the donor gift cycle with proven relationship management and move management strategies.
- Follow prospects and donors through the stages of identification, qualification, cultivation, intention to solicit, solicitation and stewardship. Keep a record of the process in the appropriate databases/platforms.
- Personally conduct one-on-one visits with prospects and donors to secure gifts that transform assigned quorums and address unit priorities.
- Represent assigned colleges and the University at fundraising and donor search events.
- Travel, as required, to cultivate donor relationships and donor prospects through out-of-town appointments, meetings, and conferences; work nights and weekends as required; and manage personal travel arrangements and schedule.
Donation management and coordination
- Develop creative and innovative giving initiatives in collaboration with Deans and Vice President for Academic Advancement to build alumni enthusiasm to increase alumni engagement rates using best practices and successful initiatives in peer and aspiring institutions.
- Coordinate all aspects of donor check presentations with the Alumni Relations/Special Events Office, submit requests for donor photographs and stories to the Marketing and Communications Office, and manage all other assigned stewardship duties for all appropriate gifts at assigned colleges, including all gifts guaranteed by the Vice President for Academic Advancement.
- Work collaboratively with the VPUA and college deans to ensure the success of the University’s planned giving program.
- Work in collaboration with and in support of other development/advancement staff, other college and UAH Foundation representatives, volunteers, and other university representatives.
- Work collaboratively on written development materials, including solicitations, proposals, gift agreements, and warranties.
- Coordinate documentation for all in-kind donations to the University for assigned colleges.
Support for annual giving
- Assist the Annual Giving Manager by coordinating solicitation plans, providing donor information, sharing best practices, assisting with mailings and providing support as needed.
- Assist in the direction and development of annual giving days, crowdfunding campaigns, senior gift giving campaigns, etc.
- Co-supervise the development of written materials, including draft language for website updates, brochures, grant proposals, and other marketing and collateral materials for relevant areas and programming needs.
Data management and administration
- Collect and manage data, ensure proper documentation, prepare various reports, track metrics, and prepare regular progress reports on fundraising goals through standardized reporting tools, as assigned. Use a database and spreadsheets to record activities and results.
- Adhere to performance metrics established in conjunction with assigned college deans and the Vice President for Academic Advancement.
- Perform administrative tasks related to development, including but not limited to taking and distributing detailed minutes/notes of internal and assigned development meetings; schedule meetings with deans, directors and other colleagues in need of development assistance; coordinate visits with prospects and donors; and serve as point of contact for assigned development events.
MINIMUM UNIVERSITY REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Five to seven (5-7) years of professional experience in front-line fundraising with a demonstrated record of success in soliciting and closing major gifts.
- Exceptional interpersonal communication skills and demonstrated commitment to responsiveness and professionalism.
- Demonstrated proficiency in MS Office software with the ability to manipulate and manage large sets of data. Strong proven organizational, project management and analytical skills.
- Exceptional written and oral communication
- Occasional travel and evening and weekend work are a requirement of this position. A valid driver’s license is required.
- Applicants must submit a resume, cover letter, and writing sample in order to be considered for this position.
- Master’s degree.
- Over seven years of professional experience in frontline fundraising with a demonstrated record of success in soliciting major gifts for an educational institution.
- Demonstrated success in raising major gifts in a public university setting.
- Experience using complex databases (eg CRM Advance, Raiser’s Edge, Millennium) and research tools (eg ResearchPoint, AlumniFinder, FoundationSearch).
- Professional certificate.
SALARY: $80,000 – $95,250, depending on experience
To apply, please visit the UAH Careers webpage.