City of Vicksburg approves engineering contract for erosion work on Iowa Boulevard and US 61 South – The Vicksburg Post


The Vicksburg Mayor and Aldermen’s Council hired an engineering firm Jackson to prepare the design of an erosion control project near the intersection of Iowa Boulevard and US 61 South.

The board on Friday approved a $ 83,121 contact with engineers at TRC to perform engineering and design for the repair of an erosion problem on Iowa Boulevard near McDonald’s that occurred after a series of heavy rains in the Warren County area in February 2020.

“This is a FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) project,” said city attorney Nancy Thomas. “There are two large pipes (culverts) running under Iowa Boulevard that need to be replaced and a concrete head wall.”

The project is one of eight areas damaged in the heavy rains that hit the region in 2020. The estimated cost of the works is $ 318,248 and is funded in part by a grant from FEMA which pays 75 percent of the costs. eligible for the project, with the city paying the remainder 25 percent and the state covering half of the city match.

The grant is a reimbursement grant, which means the city will fund the work and will be reimbursed by FEMA. It is one of eight erosion control projects in the city, funded by grants from FEMA.

The board approved in March the loan of $ 4 million to begin work on the projects. The loan will be repaid with money from FEMA.

About John Surratt

John Surratt graduated from Louisiana State University with a degree in General Studies. He has worked as an editor, reporter and photographer for newspapers in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. He has been on the staff of the Vicksburg Post since 2011 and covers city government. He and his wife attend St. Paul’s Catholic Church and he is a member of the Port City Kiwanis Club.

e-mail author
More John

Source link


Leave A Reply