General Information – Job Specific
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects of its partners around the world. Our mission is to serve those in need by expanding the capacity of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient way. Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always meeting or exceeding our partners’ expectations. With more than 7,000 employees in 80 countries, UNOPS provides its partners with the logistical, technical and managerial knowledge they need, wherever they need it. A flexible structure and global reach allow us to respond quickly to our partners’ needs, while providing the benefits of economies of scale.
Located in Dakar, the UNOPS office in Senegal has developed a strong working relationship with West African governments and international partners over the years. It provides technical support in strategic development areas, including elections; procurement and related capacity building; environmental protection, and infrastructure rehabilitation and development.
In Benin, UNOPS supported the Ministry of Health in its response to COVID-19 through the acquisition of medical equipment and the delivery of a fully equipped mobile laboratory (P3) and two national laboratories (P3). UNOPS continues its support to the Ministry of Health within the framework of the PAUPPI project, through the acquisition of medical equipment and the delivery of four Epidemiological Treatment Centers in the cities of Lokossa, Abomey, Porto Novo and Parakou.
Building on this continued collaboration, UNOPS recently signed a new project with the Government of Benin. The objective of this project is to strengthen the capacities of the Ministry of Health of Benin through the acquisition and installation of medical and non-medical equipment in health facilities located in Cotonou, Lokassa, Abomey, Parakou, Natitingou and Porto Novo.
Ultimately, the two ongoing projects will contribute to strengthening the national health platform in Benin.
In this context, UNOPS SNMCO is looking for a Senior Biomedical Engineer who will support the implementation of the above projects, working under the supervision of the Project Manager.
Functional responsibilities The Senior Biomedical Engineer will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Provide fast, high quality and professional technical support in all activities related to research, commissioning and installation of medical equipment such as:
- Participate in the review and analysis of existing sanitary equipment and facilities (field assessments) at the various sites,
- Review specifications and requirements of medical equipment being designed, in terms of accuracy, suitability and context,
- Participate in meetings and work closely with other respective medical experts to identify exact locations and dimensions of equipment to facilitate better and efficient patient and process flows,
- Assess the likelihood of integrating new equipment into existing medical systems,
- Prepare drawings to show proposed locations and installation for medical equipment,
- Develop schedule of requirements, conditions, evaluation criteria and exact bid required from bidders prior to bidding,
- Produce bills of quantities for tender purposes in terms of accuracy and content,
- Prepare technical specifications of medical systems, including components, products, devices and services, as well as expected manufacturing quality, in close coordination with the procurement team,
- Preparation of price quotes for all medical equipment,
- Participate as a technical evaluator of proposals for the supply of medical equipment,
- Participate in scheduled site visits for inspection during implementation,
- Assist with testing, commissioning of installed equipment, training of end users and review of contractors shop drawings and issue certificate of acceptance of installed equipment,
- Development of a complete maintenance plan for the installed equipment,
- Maintain files and records of design processes and decisions,
- Planning of requested tasks related to medical work,
- Perform equipment installation and end-user training activities as required,
- Perform any other task relevant to the design activity when required,
- Maintain accurate, up-to-date and complete documentation for each area of responsibility.
Monitoring and progress control
- Prepare weekly and monthly progress reports: progress of work according to established schedules and plans, problems encountered, solutions, planning of activities for the following week, etc.
- Consolidated monthly/quarterly progress reports,
- Prepare and maintain an inventory of medical equipment,
- Prepare operation and maintenance plans for all medical equipment.
Final product ⦁ Prepare an accurate inventory list of all medical equipment, ⦁ Complete operation and maintenance plans for all medical equipment.
- Advanced university degree (Masters) in biomedical engineering or related field is required,
- A bachelor’s degree combined with an additional 2 years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Five years (or more depending on academic degrees) of progressive experience in the field of biomedical engineering is required,
- Experience in the maintenance and acquisition of biomedical health equipment is required
- Experience working successfully with a variety of health sector actors, particularly governments and development partners, is required,
- Experience working in developing countries is an asset,
- Proficiency with computers, particularly AutoCAD, and other related software related to the position’s area of expertise is highly desirable,
- Professional membership in approved associations is preferential,
- Experience working with developing countries and/or major global donors such as the Global Fund, USAID, World Bank, etc. is an advantage.
- A perfect working knowledge of English is required,
- Knowledge of French is an important asset.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: ICA 10/Retainer Contract level: LICA 10
Duration of contract: one year, renewable depending on performance and business needs
For more details on the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements. aspx
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only candidates shortlisted for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS endeavors to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Harmonization of professional and personal life – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive work-life balance policy and offer several flexible work options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all types of contracts
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the position.
- For agency contracts, you must complete a few compulsory courses (approximately 4 hours) at your own pace, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible for complying with security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the United Nations Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is UNOPS policy to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship with UNOPS depends on the results of these checks.
General information – UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects of its partners around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve peace and sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
work with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments around the world. We are looking for creative, results-oriented professionals with skills in a variety of disciplines.
With more than 5,000 UNOPS staff and approximately 7,400 partner recruits across 80 countries, our workforce represents a range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced and diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and meet the needs of our partners. We continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage the recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Harmonization of professional life
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
How to register